It’s an old cliché, but it’s true – the customer is king. No business can survive without customers, and a business with regular, happy customers is a business that has a very good chance of doing well. That’s why customer service is so important! You want every customer who deals with your business to have an excellent customer service experience – every time!
Not convinced that customer service matters that much? These statistics might change your mind:
- According to a 2011 American Express survey, 78% of consumers have bailed on a transaction or not made an intended purchase because of a poor service experience.
- According to the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, it is 6-7 times more expensive to acquire a new customer than it is to keep a current one. Marketing Metrics says the probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%, while the probability of selling to an existing customer is 60-70%. On average, loyal customers are worth up to 10 times as much as their first purchase.
- A survey by Zendesk found that 82% of consumers have stopped doing business with a company because of bad customer service, while 52% of consumers have made more purchases from a company after having a good customer service experience.
- InsightSquared says that $41 billion is lost by US companies each year due to poor customer service.
- According to Dimensional Research, 54% of consumers shared bad customer service experiences with more than 5 people, while only 33% shared good experiences with more than 5 people.
- Bain & Company found that 80% of CEOs believe they deliver a superior customer experience, but only 8% of their customers agree.
If you’re running a business and that last statistic doesn’t send shivers down your spine, it should; it’s obvious that customer service is an incredibly important part of the success or failure of any business.
A customer will always remember how they were treated and how it made them feel. If treated like a king, then that is what they will tell the people they know. If treated poorly, that is what they will tell the whole world! Poor customer service is never forgotton!
Here is a quick customer service tip: Don't get dragged into an argument with a customer. No matter how you feel at that time, it would not be professional to argue or raise your voice regardless of how the customer is acting themselves, because that’s highly unprofessional. The best tactic is to keep smiling, stay calm and have some empathy for how that customer is feeling.
Ensuring that your business has competent, personable staff, superior customer service over the telephone (the 2011 American Express Survey found that “Your call is important to us. Please continue to hold” was the single phrase most hated by customers) and deals with customer problems in a polite, respectful way will go a long way to ensuring your business stays in business for years to come.
At PA Excellence we pride ourselves on our customer service but I'm sure that like most businesses we are not perfect. However, we strive to treat our customers as the most important people in the world, because in our world they are!
If you would like to receive great tips and advice to help keep your business running efficiently then sign up for our monthly newsletters!
Have a great day!