The idea of working from home is always appealing, everyone thinks about how great it is to be able to work around the family commitments and not have to commute into the office but there are positives and negatives associated with working from home.
Being able to work around the family commitments is great, it means being able to be there for that special performance or the assembly where your child receives a special award but what happens when the kids are in the house and they spend half of their day asking “what you are doing” and “when you are going to be finished” because they want to spend time with you. This is a challenge and I have found that you need to be clear about what you can and can’t do at home. Set your boundaries from the start so that everyone knows when you are ‘at work’ and when you are ‘off work’. Staying focused while you work from home can be challenging because there are lots of distractions at home but hopefully these tips will help.
Here are my top 7 tips to help you stay focused.
1. Dress for work – I realise that working in your trackies or pjs is appealing but it will also make it harder to focus because you will be in a very relaxed mood. If you have an important day coming up dress as you would if you were going into the office it will put you in the right frame of mind.
2. Create a schedule for your time – set your work hours and create a routine. You can divide your day up into blocks of time to ensure that you break up your day and keep it interesting. Having a routine in place will make it easier for you to focus on what you need to do and your family will respect the hours that you are working.
3. Choose your environment carefully – don’t position your workspace in a high traffic area. Choose your space carefully and don’t fill it with any distractions like a TV.
4. Motivational material – have some of your favourite motivational quotes around you to motivate you when you need a little inspiration.
5. Take on work you enjoy – working remotely means that you need to motivate yourself and the best way to do that is by doing what you enjoy doing and what you care about.
6. Relocate to refresh – if you are having trouble focusing, try relocating to another place. Pick up your laptop and take it to the deck overlooking the garden or go down to your local coffee shop.
7. Have a to-do list – your to-do list is a reminder of what you need to get done. Make sure that you keep your to-do list updated and mark tasks off as you complete them, it will give you a sense of accomplishment and help keep you focused.
Hopefully, these tips will help you stay focused while you work from your home office and you will enjoy more of the positives of working from home.